I guess it was a happy mistake, because it ultimately led to today's card which I am just so pleased with.
I had decided to make myself a one layer card using my beautiful Climbing Roses Cling Stamp Set. I had my heart set on Coastal Cabana with Gold heat embossing.
I used my Stamparatus to stamp the flowers in clear Versamark, and leaving the card stock firmly in place in the Stamparatus with the weight of the magnet, I coloured just the leaves with my light Bermuda Bay Stampin' Blends pen. I chose Bermuda Bay because it tones well with Coastal Cabana.
After all the leaves were coloured I loaded up the stamp, which was still firmly in place, with more Versamark and re-stamped over the image. A precision stamping tool, such as the Stamparatus, is a card making essential for this technique.
There will be some reading this who might say ..... "why not just stamp and heat emboss the image before colouring with Blends pens?" Well I have found that in doing that, often the super shiny heat embossing becomes dull when it makes contact with the ink from the Blends pens, and I personally find the finished result disappointing. I think it's a reaction of the alcohol based ink coming into contact with the embossing. Call it "picky" if you wish .... but I prefer to think of it as "wanting as close to perfection as I can get", and if this method means taking longer to achieve that, then so be it. It all boils down to personal choice.
The next step is where my error came about. Although I had applied my embossing buddy over the entire front of my card design before re-applying Versamark, what I neglected to ensure was that my hands were spotless. They were, but my thumb had made contact with the Versamark pad, so when I picked the card up from the stamparatus, there was a nice fat Versamarked thumb print in the bottom right-hand corner of my design - not what I intended !!
Being the frugal soul that I am (cough ! cough!!), I wanted to rescue my design, having laboured over the colouring of the leaves. So, I decided to cut the front of the card on the diagonal, going from bottom left to top right. Then I simply added a piece of Whisper White card stock behind my Coastal Cabana front layer, leaving me with a two-tone card front. I gold heat embossed the sentiment on the white half.
I was pretty happy with the outcome, but felt it needed just a little something extra ........butterflies!!! So out came my Butterfly Gala Bundle and voila. In a few moments I had stamped and punched two beautiful butterflies and added them to the design.
I just love how the whole thing came about from a silly mistake. It is actually far prettier than the original design I had intended.
Improvising often plays a big part in card making. It certainly did with this card. I really didn't want to bin the whole thing because of my silly mishap and I am pretty chuffed with my finished two-tone card.
Maybe that mojo of mine that went AWOL has decided to come out of hiding - I do hope so !!
Thanks for looking and happy crafting.